Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Back to School

Like what the title suggests, it's time for another crazy semester. Frankly speaking, I am neither academically nor psychological prepared for the term ahead (I just bought my first textbook today!):/

I am still figuring out why I am posting about my personal life, since this blog is intended for me to post my views on financial issues. Maybe I just yearn for an outlet to relieve stress and say what I really feel, even though I am doing so on a computer and not telling any one in particular?

Looking back, my last semester witnessed many ups and downs.

Bizcom
After comtemplating for the longest time ever, I had decided to run for Bizcom President. I could say this decision was largely made against my will as I had previously intended to run for Univantage director instead. Considering the fact that many of my starring family members (Nicholas, Joshua, etc...) might not be able to obtain exco positions if I were to opt for the latter, I bit the bullet. Another factor was the sacrifice made by Kelly who withdrew from the ACF elections, in short many difficult decisions were made and I never felt so uncertain about the future before. It was indeed a leap of faith. Through this experience, the word 'faith' has another dimension to its meaning. Faith means to act with complete devotion even when you are unsure of the outcome. This is markedly different from academics, where one should be able to do reasonably well as long as he or she makes the effort. Nevertheless, I am immensely proud of my exco and it is my firm belief that we can accomplish many amazing achievements together as a team.

GPA
One word to sum it up - FALL. I fell, and the fall was downright painful. Year 1 was average, but Year 2 sem 1 was absolutely horrible. I never expected myself to fare so badly, my mental state was in a terrible mess during the exam week and I somehow managed to prepare myself for the bad news when I checked my grades after coming back from OCSP. Like what she said, I failed to compartmentalize my emotions and realign my focus. As much as I like to believe how logical I am as a person, it came to my realization that my heart was pulling the strings all this while. Let's hope I am able to find my drive and energy back this sem and fulfil my duty as a student.

OCSP
The days in Chiang Mai left a deep impression on me. Other than making me feel how lucky I am, the OCSP has taught me the value of service and has allowed me to meet a group of really fantastic and awesome people. It warms my heart to know how everyone took care of one another, especially when I was down with food poisioning:) Really wish that we can keep in touch with each other despite how busy everyone is going to be!

River Valley Primary School
To the members of RVPS 'Dead Buddies' Society (Vincent Chan, Brandon and Enrico), thank you for the 15 years of brotherhood! Although you guys always jio me go drink or club whenever we meet, I would glady do so because it's fun to hang out with you guys:) It strikes me as a miracle how we can maintain contact throughout all these years, and I will pray for this miracle to continue.

Catholic High School
To the members of Let's Get (CAT) High! (Vincent Lim, Xing Zhi and Daniel), thank for you for the 8 years of friendship! It was nice playing all the pranks and cracking all the jokes one could possibly imagine in class during our secondary school days:P And the funny stories about your or other people's encounters with SN girls lol! The trip to JB with Vincent was quite an eye-opener for me haha..

SMU
Starring family (too many to list) is simply love, it's difficult to imagine how we actually stay so close together since Year 1 Sem 1, weathering both rain and shine together. My SMU experience is totally worth it because of all your presence. There's really no way to count many how times have we gone out for outings or celebrated festivals together (including Nick's smses:P). It's hard not to laugh when jokers like Michelle and Marvin are around. It's hard not to feel secure when reliable dudes like Wei Ji and Darryl are around. As for Nicholas, I see him almost everyday. Shifu always surprises us with his profound knowledge of the opposite sex. Michael is kind and generous, Lynnette and Jane our mothers who brought us into Bizcom. Joshua never fails to disturb me through emails and facebook, but is always there when I need a listening ear. Sharon can persuade almost anyone with her whiny voice, Ruth is the talented Miss Bondue who can play the violin, Kelly the 'school team player' for volleyball and Celine the ultra nice and helpful girl. Last but not least, Uncle Ashley who always MIA (but improving already la hahaha:)

Though the road ahead is tough, but every time these people appear in my mind I can always find the strength I need to overcome all barriers. Now that I have this heavy responsibilty on my shoulders, it is my duty to commit my best and repay the faith that all these people (Bizcom in particular) have in me. Learning that there are many important issues beyond my control, I am still grateful for the things which happened. Hence let's live this year as if it was my last, without leaving any regrets.

I still subscribe to the philosophy of faith.

No comments: