Saturday, August 09, 2008

National Day

National Day

Singapore celebrates its 43th birthday today!!

As a young and able-bodied male who is currently serving National Service ever since 9th April, I have come to believe that today carries an extra special significance.

Why must I serve? The answer is simple. Because I want Singaporeans to be able to celebrate this day of every year; Sinagpore has come a long way to achieve the success which we enjoy today. And this wouldn't have been possible without an operationally ready force to protect the sovereignty and safeguard the dignity of our nation, our homeland.

During the university admission interview conducted by SMU earlier this year, one of the economics professor asked me if I would cross over to "greener pastures" should the opportunity arises. The other interviewees gave the "standard TYS" answers, citing the positive qualities of Singapore for instance good governance, clean environment and free from natural disasters.

To her question I simply replied, "Wherever I may go can never change the fact that I am from Singapore, and will always remain a Singaporean."

August 15th. The day when I shall wear my corporal rank. And wear it with pride. Ending this entry off with an entertaining video, so sit back and enjoy:)

No comments: