Sunday, December 28, 2008

2008 Take-aways

2008 Take-aways

While the term "Take-away" may instill fear in every single undergraduate out there, I am relieved to declare that I am immune to this superstition.

(FYI, "Take-away", aka "Da3 Bao1" in Hokkien is defined as failing a particular module during the course of study and subsquently having to repeat it during the next semester)

Learnt a couple of important lessons in 2008.

1. The importance of time. To think I still had the audacity to waste precious time at the beginning of 2008 prior to my enlistment on unproductive leisure activities; for instance computer games. Really learnt to appreciate time after enlistment. Significance of the phrase "Time is Money" cannot be overemphasized.

2. Ability to recognise genuine friends. These are people who will stick with you even when they are in the army or universities. Frequent meetings are not an absolute necessity, occasional online chats and text messages shall do just fine. Unlike those who have disappeared without a single trace to other "high flier" friends or simply can't be bothered. Nevertheless, I will still treat them as my friends and treasure the relationship we share.

3. Become less gullible. There have been many instances when I am disavdantaged due to my gullibilty and tendency to place trust on dishonest individuals. At some point of time I almost believed in a particular idea of thinking but luckily managed to detect their hypocrisy and see through their lies. As for MLM, its a downright no-no. Trust is hard to earn and easy to lose. I can't agree more with this statement.

3. Develop an immense passion for learning. To tell the truth, I used to loathe studying since I was young. I do not find studying a mind boggling activity but the results I have achieved so far are supposedly to prove my "status" (which I find unnecessary) as the only son of the eldest son (my dad) in my family. Everything went fine until my misfortune in NJC and that compelled me to analyse the severity of the predicament I was pushed into. I straightened out my thinking after surviving this ordeal which left me pernamently scared but fret not; for it only served to strengthen my resolve and deepen my desire.

For you: I still need more time to think it through. Why me? I have nothing but only the ambition and drive to succeed, unlike those who are busy squandering money and wasting time trying to please others...

To me, 2008 was an epiphany. I have found my path. I have lost something I thought to be priceless for something which is truly priceless. I will master, no I MUST master my craft and do whatever it takes to materialise my ambition. Forbes 400, await my future arrival!

No comments: