Saturday, January 12, 2008

Camp Attachment

Camp Attachment

WENT for a camp attachment with Jun Yuan Primary School for InnoTrek on last Wednesday and ended on Friday, overall I felt the camp was terrific! Initially I thought that being a camp instructor taking charge of a group of primary five kids would be an easy task but it soon proved to be a difficult challenge.=S I discovered how short a kid's attention span could get, realised there's no limit to the amount of energy a kid could possess and most importantly, I felt the warmth which kids could give:D Leading a group of students, being a game station master and conducting debrief sessions were rather familiar duties to me as I have done so before in harmoc but the level of difficulty was much higher in this case.. Still remembered I almost shouted until my throat was dry when I started teaching the kids really simple cheers but they just couldn't concentrate on what I was telling them=X Later on I observed on how the other trainers who were much more experienced than me did it and gradually figured out the trick to controlling a bunch of kids haha.. It was then I saw the amount of passion and enthusiasm in the kids when they cheer, it was simply a sight to behold.. My group of class 5-4 was rather quiet at the beginning but the cheering sessions really bonded them much closer together and they cheered their hearts out.. Although they didn't win any prize in the end, they deserve the first prize in my heart:) Too bad I am using my old handphone now and thus unable to take any pictures with them but they were just simply CUTE! You couldn't imagine what the kids did to me-_-"

They:
messed up my hair (which I painstakingly took half an hour to style)
"massaged" my shoulders (like a massaging machine operating on full turbo)
demanded piggyback rides (I almost suffocated during every ride)
hugged almost every part of my body (first time I felt molested haha)

Besides all the points mentioned above, they also asked interesting questions, such as:

"How old are you?"
"Are you from Mediacorp? You look like some actor from a 9pm show in channel 8!"
"Do you have a girlfriend?"
"You want to get married at 19 right?" (they asked this after I replied them I am single and turning 19 soon)
"Can give me your handphone number?"
"Where do you live? I want to visit you!"
"When are you coming to our school? We want to bring you around!"

But I felt really touched when a boy whom I scolded often for being playful said this to me on the last day of the camp: "Can you not leave? When can I see you again? I will miss you alot..."

Also felt appreciated when the form teacher of my class made special comments regarding my performance in the feedback form, saying that I was very keen and passionate about my job:) Anyway, just can't wait to go for another camp! And special thanks to Wuzhen for introducing this job to me:D

No comments: